How do I add a new file extension / MIME type?
The following article explains how to create a MIME type for a new file extension. This will allow different file extensions to work in a web browser.
To add a new MIME type, please follow these steps:
- Log into your server through Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Connection.
- Click Start, select Programs, and then click Administrative Tools.
- For IIS 5.0 click Internet Services Manager.
- For IIS 6.0 click Internet Information Services.
- In the left column you will see the Server Name.
- In IIS 5.0, expand the Server Name to find the domain name.
- In IIS 6.0, expand the Server Name and then Web Sites to find the domain name.
- If you would like to add the MIME type to a specific website, right-click on the domain name and select Properties. If you would like to add MIME types globally to all websites on the server, right-click Web Sites and select Properties.
- On the HTTP Headers tab click MIME Types.
- Click New.
- Enter the appropriate information:
- Click Ok.
You may need to restart the IIS service for the MIME type to begin working.
To restart the IIS service, please follow these steps:
- Click Start, select Run, type command to open a command prompt.
- Type iisreset and press Enter. This will stop the IIS service and then restart it.
Note: Restarting the IIS service will temporarily suspend the web service and prevent websites from working. The reset should only take around 10 – 30 seconds to complete.